"Believe in your heart, follow your dreams or just go to Disneyland." Emma -age 4

Saturday, August 21, 2010

While my Cat is away...





With the hubs out for the day and with it being the last days of summer I decided to make pancakes for breakfast. I have several recipes that I use depending on my mood and what I have on hand. The Joy of Cooking has a really excellent recipe. But today I had some buttermilk I needed to use. The other day my good friend mentioned that she rarely uses her cookbooks anymore. What with the ease of the internet and the sheer volume of recipes at your fingertips it is really easy to overlook all the books on your shelf.

But not today! I pulled out one of my favorite vintage cookbooks. The 1963 version of the Pillsbury FAMILY cook book. I love old cookbooks. From their tattered covers, to the AWESOME artwork (I'm thinking of the dutiful housewives cooking their work weary husbands a fabulous meal. In pearls and all.) and the sometimes questionable recipes. They are a look into our not so distant past. And I love it. But I digress. The recipe.

These pancakes were somewhat dense while being light and puffy at the same time. The recipe couldn't be simpler. The most difficult thing to do is beat egg whites. And if you don't have buttermilk, just sub in milk with a little vinegar splashed in. I think the exact ratio is 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. Just be sure to let it sit for 5 minutes or so. I served these with scrambled eggs and some Jimmy Dean. With my espresso, it was the perfect way to start the day. And I wish I could say that I didn't clean my plate, but that would be a lie.

Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes

2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 c. buttermilk
3 eggs, separated
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 t. vanilla

In a large bowl mix the flour, soda and salt. Stir in buttermilk, vanilla and well beaten egg yolks. Stir in butter and beat until the batter is smooth. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake on a hot skillet until done.

I served these with homemade syrup. I haven't bought syrup from the store in over a year. And I don't miss it. So, here is a bonus recipe for you. Next time you run out of syrup, don't panic. Just make this instead. You can thank me later.

Homemade Maple Syrup

1 c. boiling water
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar (sometimes I use half light and half dark)
1-2 t. maple extract (I use Mapeline. Which I think is best. You can find it at Wal-Mart in the blue and white box.)

Pour the sugars into a small bowl. Pour the boiling water over the sugar and stir until smooth. Add the extract and serve hot. I store the leftovers in a bottle in my fridge. It keeps forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment